Wednesday, May 27, 2015

100 Miler Musings

This winter and spring my running has been pretty minimal.  We have had a bunch of family obligations that have taken us away from home regularly, plus spring is typically a busy time as we are avid landscapers.

So...as I walked around the back of my minivan yesterday at the grocery store my attention was drawn once again to my vanity plate--the one I treated myself to after breaking 24 hours at the Umstead Endurance Run (NC) in 2010.

My mind drifted off to memories of long runs past.

I've run 100 miles 3 times in my life: first was in 1998 at the Massanutten 100 Miler in VA.  Tough run but with a generous (36 hour) cutoff time, and I was able to squeak in at the back of the pack.

The second time was a few years later in 2004 when I ran 100 miles on the track as part of our community's American Cancer Society Relay for Life.  That one took me about 23 hours, and my lasting memory of the run was just how quickly it went: no boredom, no fatigue, just a metronome-like rhythm for 100 miles.  It was quite fun, actually!

And last was the Umstead run in 2010.  I seriously doubt that I have another 100 mile effort in me...but never say never.  My life goals and status could change.



So after I got home from the grocery store with the proper ingredients I whipped up this strawberry-rhubarb pie with a crumb topping.  The flavor was there but it was slightly runny.  When I upped the recipe from a normal 9" pie to a deep dish, I forgot to increase the baking time proportionally.

Won't make that mistake again.  Oh, and it did make a perfect post-run snack, even though I had to eat it with a spoon.

Image credits Gary


No comments:

Post a Comment