Sunday, December 4, 2016

Cats in Art: Espirit de Baculard d'Armand (Greuze)

Busy times these days, here's a short post from 5 years back that I still particularly like (it originally ran on 4 Dec 2011).

+++++++++++++++++++++
From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art. I'm using some ideas from the coffee table book, The Cat in Art, by Stefano Zuffi.

Image credit The Scholar's Resource, here.  Espirit de Baculard d'Armand (or in English, The Son of Francois Thomas de Baculard d'Armand), Jean-Baptiste Greuze, 1776, oil on oval canvas, held by Musee des Beaux-Arts, Troyes, France.  

Zuffi observes, on the art of this period:
The cat faced up to this age of revolution and change with its customary nonchalance and proverbial adaptability.


In other words, tell me when it's over, but in the meantime, keep on petting me or I'll get even more annoyed than I am now....


No comments:

Post a Comment