Sunday, January 22, 2017

Cats in Art: Cat Holding a Fish (Lazzari)

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art.  Having moved on from Stefano Zuffi's marvelous work, The Cat in ArtI am now using some ideas from Caroline Bugler's equally impressive book, The Cat/3500 Years of the Cat in Art.  You really should check out and/or own both of these wonderful works, easily available on Amazon or eBay (and I have no financial interest).

This is my second of several posts on the cat art of Sebastiano Lazzari.



Image credit Google Images, here.  Title uncertain, perhaps Cat Holding a Fish, Sebastiano Lazzari, early 1700s, no other information available.

The art of Sebastiano Lazzari on the web is elusive.  This image comes from searching Google Images, and leads one to an art auction site.  Despite the dearth of info, this image is almost certainly a Lazzari, a companion painting to the one I featured last week.  


This one uses the same kitty, but substitutes a fish for last week's salami, spills the fruit out of the bowl and onto the table, and uses a mirror in the background in place of the globe sculpture.

And the kitty is still very poorly behaved.


[Gary note: With my Cats in Arts posts, I encourage you to scope out the art appreciation site Artsy (I have no financial interest in the site, I just like it), where you can explore many aspects of the world of art.  You'll certainly be entertained and enlightened!]

No comments:

Post a Comment