Sunday, February 26, 2017

Cats in Art: A KItten Deceived (Collins)

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art.  Having moved on from Stefano Zuffi's marvelous work, The Cat in Art, I am now using some ideas from Caroline Bugler's equally impressive book, The Cat/3500 Years of the Cat in Art.  You really should check out and/or own both of these wonderful works, easily available on Amazon or eBay (and I have no financial interest).


Image credit WikiArt, A Kitten Deceived, William Collins, 1816, oil on canvas, 30" x 24", held by Guildhall art Gallery, London, England.

And the close-up of the befuddled kitty:




The poor kitten gets faked out by its image in the mirror and tries to get fierce with the intruder.  Normally cats are suave and Bugler relates a story in which the artist was distracted by a friend stopping by, and painted the wrong side of the kitten in the mirror.

I can't count the times this has happened to me, so I guess I'm in good company!

[Gary note: With my Cats in Arts posts, I encourage you to scope out the art appreciation site Artsy (I have no financial interest in the site, I just like it), where you can explore many aspects of the world of art.  You'll certainly be entertained and enlightened!]

No comments:

Post a Comment