Monday, September 5, 2016

Cats in Art: A Dog and a Cat Fighting in a Kitchen Interior (Desportes)

Gary Note: sorry this is is day late.  Life, etc.

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art.  Having moved on from Stefano Zuffi's marvelous work, The Cat in Art, I am now using some ideas from Caroline Bugler's equally impressive book, The Cat/3500 Years of the Cat in Art.  

This'll be the fourth of several Alexandre-Francois Desportes paintings that will be featured here.




Image credit The Aetheneum, A Dog and a Cat Fighting in a Kitchen Interior, Alexandre-Francois Desportes, 1710, oil on canvas, no information on dimensions, held in a private collection.


And the disturbing kitty/dog close-up:



The dog is dead serious, and the cat is overmatched.  One can only hope that the dog's slashing attack missed causing serious damage, and that the kitty managed to high-tail it out of there.  And check out the close-up again: if there is such a thing as an artist painting an "Oh, shit!" facial expression on an animal, Desportes manages to do it right here.

However....did you notice the other kitties in the painting?  I almost missed them since the viewer's eye iis drawn immediately to the big fight.  There's a cat down in the lower left, another one immediately below the fight (looking strangely composed, despite all the action), and another just above the fight.  Plus that might even be a fourth cat lurking to the right of the dangling goose.

[Gary note: With my Cats in Arts posts, I encourage you to scope out the art appreciation site Artsy (I have no financial interest in the site, I just like it), where you can explore many aspects of the world of art.  You'll certainly be entertained and enlightened!]


No comments:

Post a Comment