Friday, November 23, 2012

Petraeus...and Ultrarunning

The Gen. David Petraeus saga, in perspective.  Courtesy of Tom Tomorrow, here:

Clicking on the cartoon should enlarge it, then ESC to return.  If that fails, check out the original here.
 

 
You may ask, and rightfully so, "What does this have to do with Ultrarunning?"
 
My answer is have that we all have that little voice inside of us that tells us what is right and what is wrong.  You know, your conscience.
 
Even if you twist some logic or stretch some truth to justify something, you know, you know, deep down, whether it really is justifiable.  You may talk yourself into something being OK, but that still, small voice is the real judge of what's right.
 
And if you fail to heed that little voice, then (as I once read somewhere) you get to sleep in the most notoriously uncomfortable of all beds--the one you make yourself.
 
My Ultrarunning hours are too precious for me to waste agonizing over and regretting having done something that I knew was not right.  I want to enjoy and savor my hours in the backcountry with a clear conscience.
 
You know, the same principle of preciousness is true about my non-running hours.  So just do the right thing.  You almost always know, in your heart of hearts, what that is. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment