Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Moonshadow




Sunday AM got up, pre-dawn, to run 16 on local roads, this in prep for the Blues Cruise 50K in 2 weeks.

The moon was waning, but still about half full and high overhead, casting a bright light that created sharp shadows.  On one turn in particular I startled myself when suddenly my shadow, which had been unnoticed in front of me, suddenly appeared to my left, and I thought it was an animal or something.

I was reminded of the old Cat Stevens song, Moonshadow from the early 1970s.  It wasn’t a blockbuster single, but it was a good album tune from that era when Cat Stevens was popular.

Sometime later he converted to Islam and took a different name, Yusuf Islam, and left his music career to devote himself to educational and philanthropic causes in the Muslim community.  I always thought Cat was a cool name for a human and mourned the loss.  Maybe he should have split the difference and became Cat Islam.

Mr. Stevens (or Mr. Islam, whichever you prefer), was actually born Steven Demetre Georgiou, 21 July 1948 (credit to Wikipedia).  So he’s had at least three names, which is an interesting situation if you think about it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment