Wednesday, October 26, 2011

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, Part 2

Here's another post about David Miller's book, AWOL on the Appalachian Trail.

I posted about it last week here, and got sidetracked into a rant about nicknames.

Anyway, I basically forgot to comment upon the book itself, so let me correct that here by saying this was a wonderful read, two big thumbs-up.  The book was quite hard to put down, and I marked a number of passages in my Kindle that I wanted to remember or use here at Mister Tristan (the blog, not the 3-year-old human being).

Anyway, AWOL is staying at a hostel early in his hike called the Sunnybank Inn, where the owner, Elmer explains over dinner to the hikers that every night they come up with a question and bat it around the table to hear everyone's answer.

That night's question was "If you could choose one musical group or artist to eliminate--it would be as if their music never existed--who would you choose?"

AWOL doesn't list any of the responses, but I have mine.  Keeping mind that I grew up in the Classic Rock era of the 60s, and that's the music I still love today, here are my thoughts:

  • Elton John
  • Steve Miller Band
  • Led Zeppelin

The last one may seem odd, but whenever I go my CD library, I never think, "You know, some Led Zeppelin would sound pretty good right now."  And as for Steve Miller and Elton John, when a tune comes on the Sirius XM radio, I just flip to another channel.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment