Friday, June 29, 2012

Tales From the Perimeter: Bikers...and Ultrarunning

Perimeter meaning the 6 mile patrol road inside the fence of the military installation on which I work, where some half a dozen of us comprise a pool of running “talent” and strive to show up for a noontime run a couple times a week if we can escape our desks. We share a lot and these guys are one of the core pillars of my sanity.


I have a running good-natured battle ongoing with another of my noontime running buddies, KK.  I bust him unmercifully about how biking isn't a real sport, etc.  And he hammers me back about my liberal viewpoints and the like.

Anyway, here's an email that I sent him quaoting our very own UltraList:


KK,

Just ran across the following comment in a posting on my Ultrarunning newsgroup and it really tickled me. You know how I like to make tongue-in-cheek comments to you about biking not being a "real" sport. Plus you are not here to rebut in person.

The ultra guy was talking about doing trail maintenance volunteer work, specifically working on some downhill sections on some joint-usage trails out in California:

    "The trails were being trimmed back, water-bars realigned, some downed trees shoved over to the sides, mainly to prevent idiot mountain-bikers from getting the Final Air of their short, brutish existences….

No comments:

Post a Comment