Thursday, May 23, 2013

Southbound...and Ultrarunning

Photos by Gary, Washington Co., MD


Seems like in music and culture there's a mystique about being southbound (think Allman Brothers, here).

Maybe it's images like the lure of warm weather, barbecue on a hot summer day, fireworks on the 4th of July, relaxed lifestyle, the Gulf, whatever, if you say "Northbound" it just doesn't work.

When I ran the other day I just HAD to take a shot of this glorified address rock at somebody's retreat.

But on the road just behind me as I took this picture was something that had also headed south, permanently.  The odor of skunk combined with the odor of decaying roadkill, was, well, pretty pungent:



The connection to Ultrarunning?  Once while running at night I stepped right on a dead skunk.  After that I usually kept my flashlight on.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment