Sunday, October 25, 2015

Cats in Art: Two Gypsies With a Cat (Mueller)

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art. I am using some ideas from the coffee table book, The Cat in Art, by Stefano Zuffi.




Image credit Ludwig Museum, Two Gypsies With a Cat, Otto Mueller, 1927, oil on canvas, 27" x 20", held by Museum Ludwig, Cologne, Germany.

Zuiffi's comment:

Mueller often painted nudes and Gypsy women: in this painting, two semi-nude Gypsy women in a humble interior setting are accompanied by the inevitable cat--companion of fortune-tellers and necromantic seances--that is visible in silhouette on the windowsill.

This is an unusual painting.  Maybe I don't hang in the right circles, but I doubt that many households have the women lounging around undressed as these are.  Not being prudish here, just observing that this is outside of my realm of experience.  But then, I'm not a Gypsy either.

And the kitty certainly has a scrawny neck.






No comments:

Post a Comment