Monday, November 30, 2015

When You Go Off into the Backcountry...and Ultrarunning

Short post today, but please take heed:

The bride worries about me going off into the hinterlands alone, so please do these two things for backcountry running this time of year:

1.  Always tell someone, as specifically as you can, where you are going, when you expect to be back, and if possible, the name of a contact person who knows the area.  For example, if I am doing trail work, it'd be helpful to the potential rescuers if a knowledgeable person can be contacted without delay.

2.  If you keel over for any reason you're going to be out there hours until help arrives. In the winter, you could freeze, literally.  So in my belt pack I always carry a space blanket (virtually no weight) plus a candle/matches with which to start a fire (assuming I am conscious!).

No comments:

Post a Comment