Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ultrarunning Shoes

I’ve posted about my shoes before, but wanted to make a couple more observations.  I'm going to use my Vasques for the upcoming Blues Cruise 50K on 2 Oct.
That makes me think about my overall hierarchy of shoes by applications:

1. Gnarly trails, rocky, rooty, etc:  I have an older pair of Montrail Vitesse that I keep just for this type of running. Perfect example around here is the Appalachian Trail or most of the trails from the Massanutten 100 in VA.

2.  Easier trails to dirt roads: I use a pair of Vasque (forget the model).  I run in these for the JFK 50 miler in MD.

3.  Dirt roads and jeep trails: ASICS 2140 trail, which can also be used just fine on pavement--a great Umstead 100 (NC) shoe.

4.  Pavement:  Whatever’s on sale, although I have never had a pair of ASICS that I didn’t like.

Your mileage WILL vary.

 

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog. I'm 56 and have been running for about 1.5 years. Nothing very long. Usually 5K a day. Have had some issues with my ankle so I quit during the summer and rode my bike. But I find I miss running. There is something about half way through the run when it seems to kick in and all the little aches disappear, my stride gets longer and I feel a sort of euphoria. Biking is OK, but it hurts my bony ass. My ankle seems OK now so I've running again. No real reason for this comment. Just wanted to let you know I'm a running grandfather too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby--thanks for stopping by. Hope the ankle improves and your running continues.

    This whole grandfather thing IS a hoot, isn't it!

    Gary
    Now if I can ever get this comment thingy to work....

    ReplyDelete