Saturday, January 12, 2013

Running Tights

A couple winters ago I bought a pair of Brooks running tights from my local running store.  I always want to spend some money there just to support the local store, even though these babies were $65.00. 

These tights were brand-name (Brooks), men's LARGE, but right from the get-go they just seemed a bit undersized.  I always felt like I was a stuffed sausage trying to squeeze into them.

Contrast that with my other pair of tights from Race Ready, same size, which (while still leg-hugging) are roomy and just plain comfortable.  Plus they are at least 2" longer than the Brooks.

Race-Ready on Left; Brooks on Right:






























[photo by Gary]

Other features. You can't see it from this image, but the Race Ready tights have a series of exterior pockets at the waist that are quite handy for my phone, bee sting AnaKit, and whatever.  On the other hand, the Brooks have more reflective fabric and zippers at the bottom of the legs for ease of getting them on and off.

I think the comfort and fit derives from the fabric composition:

Race Ready "Driline"      Brooks "Equilibrium
                                         Technology"
--63% nylon                     --0% nylon
--32% polyester                --93% polyester
--14% lycra                      --0% lycra
--0% spandex                   --7% spandex

Yeah, I see that the Race Ready total adds up to 110% (maybe they do go the extra mile!), but it seems to me that their superior comfort and fit is due to the high percentage of nylon.  I'll keep that in mind next time I shop for tights.

Oh, and I have no financial interest in either product.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment