Sunday, March 16, 2014

Cats in Art: Three Cats (Marc)

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art. I'm using some ideas from the coffee table book, The Cat in Art, by Stefano Zuffi.

This is my twelfth post on Franz Marc (1880-1916), a key German painter whose life tragically ended early on the Western Front in 1916. Maybe he even knew my great-grandfather. This will be a multi-week series (I am still uncovering his cat works)






Image credit The Atheneum, hereThree Cats, Franz Marc, 1913, oil on canvas  28" x  40", held by Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen - Dusseldorf (Germany).


This is my first post using my brand new iMac desktop computer.  I am used to posting something new practically every day, so thank you all for your patience during this light blogging week.

I gotta say, after decades of PC usage in the Microsoft environment, this is going to take me some time to figure things out.  It's just, well, way different.  Not necessarily better, but just different, although I am hopeful that the Apple world will prove to be a better environment.  One very noteworthy observation: I must say that I am not seeing all those annoying, overlapping ads that were practically commandeering my web usage.

I'm sure that all the functionality is here somewhere, it's just that I can't figure out where things are.  I was used to going to "My Documents" or "My Computer" and as of yet I haven't hit upon those equivalents.  

But I've only been up and running for a few hours, so patience is indicated. 

So...as for this image of 3 cats, here we have a white and black one in the center kicking up its heels like a wild horse aiming a shot at the striped kitty's jaw; the striped kitty on the right with the goofy look like it has a just caught been licking its own parts; and the huge red/orange cat in the back, the only one with dignity and suaveness.  And the one that I would like most to "own."

Here as with previous Marc paintings, we have realism mixed with stylistic features, and the continued usage of big, bold colors.  


No comments:

Post a Comment