Thursday, April 28, 2016

Tales From the Perimeter: More on That DNF

Perimeter meaning the 6 mile patrol road inside the fence of the military installation on which I formerly worked, where some half a dozen of us comprise a pool of running “talent” and strive to show up for a noontime run a couple times a week if we can escape our desks. We share a lot and these guys are one of the core pillars of my sanity.

It's been far too long since I put up a Tales From the Perimeter post, but since I retired my running frequency with the group has plummeted.  At any rate, though, I'm sure our next run will feature my recent email to the group as a discussion topic:


Guys,

Must have been a Freudian slip, but I failed to provide results for the Ironmaster’s Challenge 50K this past Sunday that I ran with my buddy JS.  Web site is http://www.ironmasterschallenge.com 

JS ran quite well and was content to stick with me thru Mile 20.  He finished in a decent time, despite a slow start due to my drag.   

Mile 20 at about 5 1/2 hours is where I dropped out (DNF meaning, of course, Did Not Finish).  I had taken 3 hard falls—which is pretty uncharacteristic of me—and I just felt out of gas.  Totally.  The falls banged up various body parts, to include knee, elbow, hand, shoulder, ribs, and a pair of solid shots to the left side of my head (apparently I’m a "left-roller" when I bite the dust).  But mostly I was really gun-shy that the next fall when it inevitably happened would really bugger me up, so I figured it was time to bid adios to those happy trails.  It wasn’t safe and it just wasn’t fun anymore.

Not a stellar day in terms of results, but JS and I did spend some quality hours together.  Here on Thursday, my body still aches: slight limp due to the knee, and the side of my head is still tender to the touch.

A word to the wise: beware of under-training.  You can only pull a big performance--based solely upon long running history and muscle memory rather than good solid training--out of your butt up to a point.  A point that I have apparently passed in my running career, as my nine lives may now be exhausted.

So, that’s my race report.  Now let loose your replies, all of which will likely invoke the words “butt” and “wuss”…. (but remember, be nice, this is the part when you say, “Gary, great job, not many people can run 20 miles, blah blah blah”)

Regards/Gary


No comments:

Post a Comment