Friday, February 26, 2010

Tales From The Perimeter: Babbling and the $37,000 Thermometer

Perimeter meaning the 6 mile patrol road inside the fence of the military installation on which I work, where some half a dozen of us comprise a pool of running “talent” and strive to show up for a noontime run a couple times a week if we can escape our desks. We share a lot and these guys are one of the core pillars of my sanity.


In our excursions around the perimeter, we unmercifully bust on CH for talking a lot (the word babbling comes to mind). Also we bust on JH's car sometimes, referring to his Lexus as the $37,000 thermometer, since a favorite question for JH while we're changing for the run in the locker room is "What's the temperature?"

I use a page called REFDESK as my home page--great resource just to be able to find stuff, like having a library at one's fingertips. Anyway, one recent REFDESK news headline was "Driver recalls 6 miles of highway terror in Lexus."

Of course it was about the accelerator problem, but I couldn't resist the straight line opening and emailed the article to the running group with the comment:

Sounds like JH must have given CH a ride again.....

This group of guys means the world to me.  At a time when my life was quite in disarray, they helped me to keep my sanity.  In a future post I'll elaborate a bit about that.  For now, suffice it to say that we shed blood, sweat, tears, stories, and most of all, laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment