Wednesday, September 22, 2010

World's Largest, Strongest Spider Webs


One of my favorite things, when I run trails, is to know that I'm the first one out there as evidenced by the fact that I keep running into spider webs.  However, I'm talking about "normal" spider webs such as we have here in southcentral PA (USA). 

How would you like to run into this baby?  From Boing Boing on 20 Sept:
This massive spider web in Madagascar was woven by Darwin's bark spider, a recently-discovered arachnid that uses its incredibly-strong silk, ten times tougter than Kevlar, to make the world's largest webs. These spiders are known to make orb webs in Andasibe-Mantadia National Park up to 2.8 meters square anchored by 25-meter threads.


Do we have any ulrarunners in Madagascar?

No comments:

Post a Comment