Monday, September 6, 2010

Even More Sirius/XM Radio

As I mentioned in a couple previous posts (here and here), I recently bought a new minivan and it came with a 3-month free subscription to Sirius/XM radio.

Having posted on "spelling songs" I should mention that discussion of the tune Respect by Aretha Franklin (YouTube is here) generated some discussion of her being referred to as the Queen of Soul.  While I don't dispute the title, it made me wonder, "Who is the King of Soul?"  While I know that James Brown is the Godfather of Soul, who then are the King and the Godmother of soul?

We needed a matrix or a spreadsheet to keep track of all this music royalty.  I should tell you that this particular discussion took place at a wine tasting at the Adams County Winery in PA, so perhaps the talk was somewhat propelled by the fruit of the vine.

At any rate, here's what we came up with:

Queen of Soul:  Aretha Franklin
King of Soul:  ??

Godmother of Soul:  ??
Godfather of Soul:  James Brown

Queen of Pop:  ??
King of Pop:  Michael Jackson

Queen of Rock:  ??
King of Rock:  Elvis Presley

Queen of Blues:  ??
King of Blues:  BB King (maybe)

The Queen:  ??
The King:  Elvis Presley

Looks like we need more queens.  Somebody brought up Queen Latifah, but we just didn't know how to categorize her.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment