Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Elevated Body Temperature...and Ultrarunning

On Tuesdays I telework from home, but usually go for an early 5 mile run at 5:30 am so I can be at my computer at 6:30 am, the start of my normal work day.

This day, however, I stayed in bed.  A cold made its may around the family over Thanksgiving, affecting multiple people.  I usually am immune to such things, but this one got me.  Monday evening I was down hard with congestion, sore throat, and just feeling lousy. 

I do have a theory that I did not put into practice this time.  You know how you always hear that running a fever is your body's way of fighting an infection?  That an elevated body temperature can kill pathogens, such as bacteria or viruses? 

Well, my theory is that in running we elevate our body temperature all the time and that's why--in my case, at least, as an experiment of one--we are healthier than the general population.  Not just fitter, but healthier.

Hopefully I can run at noon today with my perimeter buddies.  Even if I am not 100% I think it'll be good for me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment