Friday, July 29, 2011

Correct English...and Ultrarunning

I’m a stickler for correct English.  I hope that this has been evident here at Mister Tristan (the blog, not the human being).  Whenever I do notice an error in a post, I cringe that my editing skills were wanting.

Anyway, every day as I commute with my carpool up I-81 northbound here in southcentral Pennsylvania, I get crazy when I pass through one particular construction zone.

There is a flashing electronic sign, 3 lines tall, that flashes 3 times with 3 sequential messages:

CAUTION
CAUTION
CAUTION

Flash 3 times, followed by

ROAD WORK AHEAD
ROAD WORK AHEAD
ROAD WORK AHEAD

Flash 3 times, followed by

PLEASE DRIVE SAFE
PLEASE DRIVE SAFE
PLEASE DRIVE SAFE


It’s that PLEASE DRIVE SAFE that drives me nutzoid.  Of course, since the word SAFE modifies DRIVE, a verb, it should be the adverb form…i.e., SAFELY. Thus, PLEASE DRIVE SAFELY.

Let’s hope that PENNDOT constructs highways better than they write.

Oh, and the link to Ultrarunning?  I cannot figure out how I can be so laid back about trail running, and yet so anal about a road sign, that while grammatically incorrect, is nevertheless understandable.  Maybe I should lighten up.  At least I haven't written an angry letter to the authorities...yet.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment