Thursday, July 7, 2011

The God Delusion, Part 2..and Ultrarunning

On Tuesday I commented on Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion.  In a later chapter addressing why he is so hostile to religion, Dawkins brings up the issue of faith and the sanctity of human life.  In a passage that tickled me for his dry with, he says:

Human embryos are examples of human life.  Therefore, by absolutist religious lights, abortion is simply wrong: fully fledged murder.  I am not sure what to make of my admittedly anecdotal observation that many of those who most ardently oppose the taking of embryonic life also seem to be more than usually enthusiastic about taking adult life....

While I was running today I pondered this observation, along with Dawkins' pointing out that the born-again George W. Bush, while he was governor of Texas, presided over executions at the astonishing rate of one every nine days.  Every nine days

That statistic blew me away even more so that than the deaths associated with his ill-conceived adventures in Afghanistan and Iraq.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment