Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cats in Art: Children Teaching the Cat to Read

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art. I'm using some ideas from the coffee table book, The Cat in Art, by Stefano Zuffi.



Image credit Zuffi (scanned from his book, pg. 158).
Click on image to enlarge.

Children Teaching the Cat to Read, Jan Steen, 1663, oil on panel, 18" x 14", held by Kunstmuseum, Basel, Switzerland.

Zuffi's description:

The cat is the "victim" of a children's game, which makes it the center of attention.  Let us have no doubts about the animal's reserves of patience; however, the game will certainly not last long.  The cat will soon make clear its annoyance, springing free and perhaps scratching the children's hands.


As always, even though it may seem otherwise, the cat is in charge.  Oh, and they make out perfectly well in this world not knowing how to read.

 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you! I continuously wanted to write on my website something like that. Can I take a portion of your post to my blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly, just be sure to include a link back to Mister Tristan.

      Delete