Sunday, January 8, 2012

Cats in Art: The Watchful Cat (Williams)

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art. Thus far I have been using some ideas from the coffee table book, The Cat in Art, by Stefano Zuffi.  However, today's post comes from a museum note card that my brother sent to the bride for her recent birthday.


 

Image credit  The Metropolitan Museum of Art (click to enlarge). The Watchful Cat, John Alonzo Williams, c. 1940, watercolor on wove paper, 12" x 17", held by The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (but inexplicably not currently on display?!)

The cat is expectantly and excitedly waiting for something good to happen.  Probably not a simple petting; more likely the cat is expecting a food treat.  Our cats--all 5 of them--display this behavior when meat is being cut, or a bag of cat treats has been gotten out of the cupboard, or when I get out some "cat bubba."
 
Cat bubba is just one of those tiny cartons of half-and-half that you get in a restaurant.  I bring them home if unused.  The term "bubba" is our word for a bottle for a baby.  You get the picture, I think.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment