Monday, January 30, 2012

Painted Shoes...and Ultrarunning


The painted shoe milieu is an as-yet untapped venue for self-expression, courtesy of Boing Boing.

Many Ultrarunners, marching as we do to some different drummers, tend to express our individuality in various ways, such as attention-grabbing outfits or tattoos*.  Catra C, for example, is legendary among Ultrarunners for her unconventional appearance.**

But these painted shoes somehow grab me, and I think some experimentation with an old pair of running shoes is in order.


NOTES:

*On tattoos...I think I get it about tattoos, the expression of one’s individuality, etc., although I’m not interested for myself.   However...should one of your loved ones ever need a transfusion and you could be a match, a recent tattoo could defer you.  With the American Red Cross, getting tattooed in one of the 18 states that do not regulate tattoo parlors precludes your donating blood for one year.  If you get tattooed in one of the regulated 32 states, you're OK to donate.

**When I ran the 2010 Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Race, Catra also ran and turned in a great time ahead of me. The Umstead course, with its couple of out-n-back segments, is among the best for providing all runners with glimpses of those both ahead and behind.  Seeing her always brought a smile to my face.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment