Friday, January 20, 2012

Springer Mountain...and Ultrarunning


[Appalachian Trail plaque on Springer Mountain, image credit Wikipedia]

Last weekend I found myself mere miles from Springer Mountain, Georgia, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. The place is legendary, as the jumping off point for most thru-hikers (most of whom choose to head south-to-north).

However--and more on this part of the story will come in a later post--I did not have the time and the daylight on this personal trip to head over there and do a trail run up to the summit where the AT actually starts.

Over my career I have had countless business trips, and one of my prime directives was always to scope out the local trail running possibilities.  As a result I have run in some pretty cool places that I otherwise would never have seen in this lifetime.  Unfortunately, this trip's logistics of necessity precluded any running.

Being that close to Mecca was heartbreaking but there will be future trips to northern Georgia.  And I have an unfulfilled date with Springer Mountain.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment