Friday, December 7, 2012

Pearl Harbor


 
[Photos by Gary--oil seeping from the sunken USS Arizona]


Well, today is 7 December, the first hour of the Today Show is in the hopper, and there has been nary a mention of the fact that this is the 71st anniversary of the 1941 Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

I guess at some point the remembrance of historical events--even one as momentous as Pearl Harbor, which pushed the U.S. over the edge into WWII--ceases to be a universally observed occasion.  But to me it still seems mighty odd that there was no comment.

My trips to the U.S.S. Arizona memorial rank as one of the most poignant of any historic sites I have ever visited.  The place is literally a shrine, a place of respectful reverence.  To me it symbolizes all the millions of young service members, from countries all over the planet, whose lives have been cut short by the stupidity of war.

The memorial
 
 
The top of the USS Arizona
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment