Monday, December 10, 2012

Trail Overseer

Well, I finally did it.  After years of using trails that are built and maintained by others, I have volunteered with the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) to be a trail overseer for the Reese Hollow Trail, and for the Reese Hollow Shelter.

This trail is a side trail off the Tuscarora Trail between Mercersburg and McConnellsburg, PA.  It was designed for overnight backpackers who want to use the shelter, or to come off the dry ridgetop for water from the spring located at the shelter.

I went over to the trail last week on a rainy day and was quite impressed with the location and the quality of the shelter.  Since the mid-winter months are not typically your prime trail maintenance period, it'll be a couple months until I actually get my gloves and boots dirty, but I can't wait.

I have been a PATC member for some years now, and moving into a hands-on volunteer position was been on my bucket list for some time now.  Now that I am retired from full-time work it'll be easier to give back to the trail community that has given so much to me.

Photos will follow in a future post.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment