Friday, November 4, 2011

October Snowstorm...and Ultrarunning



(Photos by Gary, beginning of storm)

Well, the rare October snowstorm here in the northeast is over, although power is still out for some.

We had minimal damage, other than a very large limb off a White Oak (my favorite oak) that took some 3 hours to chain saw, stack, and haul off the twiggy debris to the burn pile.

I felt pretty sorry for my Elephant Ear plants, pictured above.  This is a non-cold-hardy plant here in PA, so I must dig out the roots every fall and replant them in the spring, lest they freeze out.  The location of planting this year, across the front of my house, really let them take off to a size that we had never had before.

Trouble was, when that wet, heavy snow landed on them, those poor Elephant Ears looked mighty forlorn.  I can imagine them saying, "But we don't do snow!"

Out of pity I dug the bulbs immediately after taking these shots.  Now they're resting until May in my crawl space.

As for Ultrarunning, I had the best of intentions to get out last weekend for a run, but the deep snow and the need to exercise my chain saw conspired against that plan.  So my first snow run of the year must wait. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment