Sunday, July 22, 2012

Cats in Art: Puss in Boots (Paton)

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art. In my first post on 1 July on the artist Frank Paton, I was using some ideas from the coffee table book, The Cat in Art, by Stefano Zuffi. In researching Paton, I uncovered several other cat works, so the entire month of Sundays in July will be devoted to him.



Image credit The Plate Lady.  This 1880 Frank Paton painting was exhibited by the Royal Academy, and is referenced in numerous places as being one of Paton's premiere works, along with Fairest of them All

Yet here comes the big mystery--the sole image I could locate was from a collectible plate seller.  This painting must exist somewhere, in somebody's collection, yet an image seems impossible to secure.  My work remains cut out for me.

Again, Paton's painting of a cute cat is a warm, compelling image.

 

1 comment:

  1. I believe I may have seen the original in a mega million dollar home in the US. there it was hanging on the wall, plane as day!

    ReplyDelete