Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Commitment: Pulling the Trigger for a Major Event

Well, I have committed to run the 24 hour Sole Challenge on 24 May 2014.  My goal will be to get as close to 100 miles as I can over repeats of the 1.5 mile macadam path near Chambersburg, PA.

I will be there with my good running buddies Jody and Keith.

The year 2013 found me eating and drinking too much and exercising too little.  So, being a believer in the power of commitment, I've entered this 24 hour race to force myself to train hard over the next 5 months.

As always, whenever I think about inspiration I turn to other people who have already said something better, stronger, more succinctly, etc., and a quote attributed** to Goethe comes to mind, one that I once had posted on my desk:



Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.

**Note: the source I cite makes a strong case that Goethe is not actually the author of this quote. Regardless, the words are inspirational and I will take them to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment