Saturday, January 4, 2014

Ultra Food

 


[image credit Gary]

For some reason, the bride is fascinated with Irish steel-cut oats.  Actually, "fascinated" doesn't begin to cut it--"obsessed" comes much closer to her actual reaction.  If she sees a can of said oats, say at a specialty store, or in a catalog, or in an on-line ad (thanks, Google, for the search-targeted adverts!), she goes on and on and on about how much she loves them, etc. 

The actual product looks much different than regular whole or quick oats: more granular or rounded, almost like barley.  I can't say whether Irish oats are a significantly different grain than the oats we see here in the U.S.

So...this year I made sure that her Christmas stocking contained the actual can of Irish steel-cut oats pictured above.  I just made us a batch for her birthday breakfast, as her birthday also falls over the holidays.

Her reaction was almost orgasmic, so I guess you could say that she enjoyed her bowl of porridge, 'cause that's what it is.

Actually, oatmeal (or porridge) is the perfect breakfast food: rich in nutrients and fiber, filling, and tasty.  A bit of brown sugar and milk makes this a great day-starter.  And since I am now officially in training for a 24 hour timed run in May, oatmeal will be one of my mainstays to get back on the right track with my eating.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment